Your paper your way
In order to facilitate the efficient review, acceptance, and publication of emerging research, we accept papers for review in any generally accepted format that includes complete citations. If your manuscript is accepted for publication, you will need to revise it based on our formatting guidelines at that time. The editors will contact you if higher resolution, print-quality images are needed.
- All submission must be written in English.
- Submissions consist of a single file (Word or PDF files are accepted) that includes the main text of your manuscript and references. A title page will be created by the editors.
- Do not include page numbers or headers. These will be added by the editors.
- Abstracts should be 300 words or less and are submitted separately.
- All tables, figures, and images are considered "Additional Files" and will be uploaded as separate files after the main text document has been uploaded. Use the "Description" field to label the content and add a detailed caption.
- Each table and figure should be clearly numbered consecutively based on the order it is referenced in the main text.
- Page size should be 8.5 x 11-inches.
- All margins (left, right, top and bottom) should be 1.0 inch (2.54 cm), including tables and figures.
- Font should be black and 11 or 12 pt.
- Please note any IRB approvals as appropriate.
It is the author's obligation to provide complete references with the necessary information and in a consistent format.
Guidelines for Specific Submission Categories
Innovations in Health Sciences Education Journal (IHSEJ) will publish the following types of manuscripts: Original Reports, Literature Reviews (Systematic and Meta-Analysis), Case Reports, Brief Reports, Perspectives/Commentaries, Letters to the Editor, and Creative Works.
Original Research Article
Full length original research articles that are 4,000 words or less, excluding abstract, references, figures, and tables. A maximum of 7 total tables and/or figures may be included.
A case report describes an interesting or rare teaching or instructional activity that offers a novel and valuable learning experience. It should include the following sections: Abstract, Introduction, Case Presentation, Discussion, and Conclusion and should not exceed approximately 1500 words. Case reports should focus on the educational component and therefore should not include any patient information.
Letters to the Editor
Letters to the Editor provide comments on articles published in IHSEJ and are limited to 500 words.
Creative works are original works by the author(s), including cover art, or any other novel items related to arts, humanities, and well-being in medicine (photography, sketches, sculpture, creative writing, among others). The work should include a short creative works essay (500 words or less) explaining how the meaning of the piece is relative to health sciences education.